Friday, March 28, 2008

Radioactive

Have you ever been told to bring two pieces of buttered toast to a doctor's appointment? Well, neither had I...until today, that is. Have you ever had to eat a radioactive egg? Me either...until today. See, I've had problems with my stomach since, well...pretty much always, and I finally decided that maybe I could see a doctor about it (novel idea, I know). So now I have to have a bunch of tests (although I don't expect it's anything serious), most of which I'll not elaborate on, but today's was so unique I couldn't let it pass without saying something.

As directed, I didn't eat or drink anything this morning, and brought my two pieces of buttered toast to the clinic. I was then given a hard-boiled egg that somehow had isotopes in it (I don't understand, and I'm not sure I want to), and instructed to eat all of the toast and egg (I made a nice little sandwich) and drink a can of orange juice. I then spent the next hour-and-a-half periodically standing in front of some sort of machine that tracked the radioactive food going through my stomach. It was actually quite easy and wasn't the least bit uncomfortable, but I still can't believe I ate toast and a radioactive egg at a doctor's office. Part of me feels like I'm going to glow in the dark when I turn out the light tonight.

GRETCHEN MEDICAL UPDATE

It was a day of clinics for us...following last night's little knife mishap, Gretchen decided that maybe a trip to the urgent care clinic would be in order. (It didn't help that she's much too squeamish to clean her own wound, plus she had no idea when she had her last tetanus shot.) Luckily she doesn't have to get any stitches, her wound is healing, and now she doesn't have to worry about another tetanus shot for 10 more years...