Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Happy Daddy Day, Daddy"

July 1, 2006 was the day we brought Madchen home from the hospital. At one point, Kirk returned to the living room after peeking in our bedroom at our sleeping baby and said to me: "I just LOVE her!" From that point on, she has had him wrapped around her finger. Almost two years later, watching Kirk interact with our baby girl still brings a smile to my face. He has such a wonderful way with her... and I can't quite put it in words. I think it just comes naturally to him because there's so much love between the two of them.

To celebrate Father's Day, I was thinking I would let Kirk sleep in a little later than usual and run out to pick up bagels and coffee for breakfast (that's usually his job on Sunday mornings). But Madchen had other ideas. Instead, just minutes after waking up, she wanted to "see Daddy" and wish him a "Happy Daddy Day". She then spent the next 15 minutes crawling all over him in bed as he tried (unsuccessfully) to pretend to still be sleeping. Next thing you know, we were all up and out the door having an early breakfast at the Original Pancake House. That's life as a father, isn't it?!

There's something special about a Dad's relationship with his little girl. I was blessed to have a wonderful father. Now I'm blessed to be married to a man that is a wonderful father. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!