Sunday, June 22, 2008

Scofflaw

Now that property values are dropping here, and taking tax revenues with them, our county must be in need of money. I don't have any hard evidence to support this, but I do have circumstantial evidence. Namely, I've received at least four ticketsin the past couple of months--all written around 1:00-2:00 in the morning-- for not having proper registration stickers on my car. We live on a street that can be pretty hard to find (taxis frequently get lost along the way, or at least they did in the days before GPS became popular), so they're clearly going out of their way to write as many tickets as they can.

First I got my state registration stickers and lost them under a pile of other paperwork, which resulted in ticket number one (needless to say, I found them pretty quickly after that). I thought I was all set, but then I got ticket number two, which was for not having the right county decal. While I hold the county largely to blame for this one--our taxes were paid and they said they sent the proper decal, but in this case we don't have any record of getting it. I called the county and they assured me they'd send a new one, but before it came I got another ticket for the same offense (this time I appealed...we'll see if they have mercy). Finally the decal arrived, so naturally I went right out and put it on the car, right? Ummm...no (I had to find a razor to scrape the old one off, I'm tired and forgetful when I get home from work, etc). I kept forgetting about it until going out and finding yet another ticket on my car this week--this one clearly no one's fault but mine. And yes, this time I finally scraped off the old decal and put the new one on.

To top it off, one morning this week I stopped for bagels and coffee on the way to work in an area where there's not a lot of parking. But it was early (7:00am) and I was just running in for a minute, so I figured no problem--only to come back and find yet another ticket on my car, this one for parking in a restricted zone.

At this pace, my contributions to the county may be sufficient to keep classroom sizes small for the next year...