Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Reason #5,396 why my wife rocks

I'll be the first to admit that in our little Ozzie-and-Harriet world of me working and Gretchen staying at home, my contribution to housework is minimal at best. (Come to think of it, back in the days when we were both working my contribution was still minimal, so I can't even really use our domestic situation as an excuse. But anyway.) It's not that I do nothing--I deal with bills and the checkbook, I kill or capture bugs and other critters that get in the house, I play with Mädchen and give Gretchen well-deserved breaks, etc.--but I'm probably never going to win any prizes for my overall contribution to the running of our household.

The one thing that I try to do without fail is take out the trash and recycling on trash night. I mean, c'mon, that's the least I can do, right? So tonight I planned to give Mädchen her bath, then take the trash out while Gretchen read bedtime stories with her. But while Mädchen and I were playing before going upstairs, Gretchen came in and said that since it looked like it might rain around bathtime, and since she was happy to give me a few extra minutes with Mädchen, she was going to take the trash out. I didn't argue, and it's a good thing. I could hear the rain start while she was in the bath, and by the time she was out (i.e., when I would have been taking out the trash), we were in the midst of a severe thunderstorm with torrential rain and abundant thunder and lightning. Thanks to her, I'm safely ensconced on the couch typing this post instead of trying to dry off after making several trips from the backyard to the front curb.

Oh, and today she bought me an apple turnover to have for dessert tonight.

Yes, I realize I'm damn lucky...