Sunday, August 10, 2008

All I'm askin'

Not that I think she'll really need much of a boost--her Mom is a strong woman who comes from a family of strong women, and from birth she's been strong-willed beyond her age--but as a Dad I want my daughter to be empowered as she goes through life. That's the only reason I can think of that I found myself at the dinner table with Mädchen the other night while Gretchen was at the gym, singing and making punching motions to the "sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me sock it to me" background from Aretha Franklin's "Respect." Since she seemed to think that was a lot of fun, as soon as dinner was over I immediately downloaded the song from iTunes so that we can play some "girl power" music whenever we need it. Add this to the list of things I never envisioned myself doing a few years ago...