Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More siesta than fiesta

I just got back from another meeting in Mexico City. I was seriously bummed to have to miss our annual block party (which I'm sure Gretchen will blog about at some point), but I was going to have about a day-and-a-half of free time while there, so I figured that I would at least get to see some sights. So, now that I'm home, what did I have to show for my time there? A picture from my hotel room looking up toward the roller coasters at Six Flags:



And a picture of the hip boutique hotel I switched to for my last night because the original hotel was already fully booked:



Why, despite having free time, did I not see more than that?

(1) There was nothing within walking distance of the hotel where the meeting was held, other than a big mall across the street. It would be like hosting a meeting here in Herndon instead of downtown, or hosting a Basel meeting in Pratteln, or hosting an L.A. meeting in Pomona, or hosting a New York meeting in Passaic, or...well, you probably get the point (unless you don't know any of those places, in which case never mind).

(2) It either rained or threatened rain (mostly the latter) the whole time.

(3) And most importantly, of my day-and-a-half of free time, I probably spent a day-and-a quarter of it in bed with dolor de estómago (bad tummy). I've reached the conclusion that, despite my having great fondness for Mexico, Mexico (or at least its food) doesn't have great fondness for me. Not that it was high on our list to begin with, but suffice it to say our next vacation will most likely not be in Mexico City...

ADDENDUM

I guess I can't say I didn't see anything when I was there. After all, when I walked to the mall (which was the only thing to do) while I was still feeling up to it, I stumbled across this little taste of Switzerland while passing through Sears: