Thursday, November 27, 2008

Great Thanksgiving moments

The turkey isn't even in the oven yet, but not long ago all of a sudden Gretchen called out to tell me that the oven was on fire and WHAT SHOULD WE DO? (Evidently fighting fires is one of those tasks, like killing bugs or dealing with dead birds in the yard, where the stereotypical default response is to leave it to the male in the house.) Sure enough, it appeared that the pumpkin pies had overflowed and the bottom of the oven did indeed have foot-high flames coming up. While I may have a Y-chromosome, I don't have a fire extinguisher, so I mostly just stood there thinking while my Mom stood by with a bag of flour in case we needed to throw it on the flames. Ultimately I suggested just leaving the oven door closed to starve it of oxygen, which thankfully seemed to do the trick. Now we have a smoky, stinky house, two slightly seared pumpkin pies, and hopes that whatever we put into the oven the rest of the day doesn't face a similar fate...

ADDENDUM:

About an hour after finishing that post, I decided to heat up leftover pizza from last night for lunch. Since the oven had the turkey in it (thankfully the flames have been contained), I decided to heat it in a pan on the stovetop instead (microwaving wasn't an option because crisp crust is one of the main objectives of reheating). Having never actually reheated pizza on the stovetop, I turned the burner to high. 5-10 minutes later the kitchen started to fill with smoke, and upon removing the pizza I realized the crust was indeed crisp, because it was basically burned to charcoal. So the turkey isn't even out of the oven yet and two of the three adults have already burned something...the pressure is on Gretchen now (the main chef for dinner tonight) not to incinerate any of the remaining food.

ADDENDUM 2:

At 4:06pm, I finally changed out of my pajama bottoms. I still haven't left the house. I think that may be a new personal record for a non-sick day.