Saturday, November 15, 2008

More great moments in fatherhood

(1) This morning

I ran upstairs to change my clothes this morning before taking Mädchen to her art class. Since she can't bear to be left alone and quiet for more than 30 seconds, it took her about that long to realize I was gone. Since she was standing at the bottom of the stairs yelling "DADDY! COME DOWN NOW!" at the top of her lungs, I figured I'd have her come upstairs to get ready as well. Evidently it disturbed her that I was only wearing my boxers when I walked down the stairs to get her--and my sincerest apologies if I've created a mental image you'd rather not have--because as I was heading down, she said "Daddy, no touch me when you naked." I really didn't know what to think of that, but Gretchen got a good 5-minute laugh when I told her later.

(2) This evening

We were driving home from dinner when an oncoming taxi blatantly cut us off by making a left turn directly in front of us when we had a green light, and he almost plowed into a group of pedestrians crossing the street in the process. I've mellowed considerably behind the wheel now that we have a toddler, but this was so reckless and dangerous that I had to lay on the horn. I wouldn't have given it much more thought, but I was taken aback when he then started yelling out his window at me for daring to go straight on a green light. I guess I got caught up in the moment, because after he yelled at me, I'm not proud to say that the following ensued:

ME (yelling out Gretchen's open window): "You idiot!"

GRETCHEN: "Kirk! Shh!"

MÄDCHEN: "What Daddy say?"

ME: "Sweetheart, I told him he wasn't being a very nice driver. He wasn't being safe."

MÄDCHEN: "No, Daddy say 'you giddyup!'"