Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Vote early and vote often

Everyone is expecting massive voter turnout today (at least by U.S. standards), so I decided to get to the polls first this morning on my way to work. Evidently I wasn't the only one.

6:05 Leave house.

6:07 The normally quiet street where we vote is absolutely packed with cars.

6:09 Someone pulling out of a spot right near the entrance! Score!

6:10 Get in line, which extends halfway across the parking lot (in most elections there is literally no line at all).

6:15 Very politely pestered by canvassers offering sample Democratic and Republican ballots (this is a pet peeve of mine...I really don't want to run a gauntlet of people, even if they're friendly and even if I support the same candidates, on the way in to cast my vote). There seem to be a lot more takers for the former, but definitely a few for the latter as well. I wouldn't quite describe the mood as festive--it's 6:15 in the morning, after all, and most folks probably haven't had their coffee yet--but no one seems especially bothered to be waiting in a long line.

6:20 A near-stampede ensues when one of the canvassers announces that there is basically no wait for paper ballots, which a group of people misinterpret to mean that they can just bypass the whole line (it just means once they get inside that it will be quicker to do paper). This is the DC area, after all, where everyone is Type A and everyone's time is VERY VERY IMPORTANT AND CANNOT BE WASTED. Luckily everyone seems to take it in good humor when they have to get back in line.

6:30 Very smart decision by the local elementary school (where we vote) to set up a bake sale at the entrance to the polling station.

6:40 I finally get to the front door...only to see the line winding up and down the hallway.

6:45 Gretchen gets serious points for letting me take the whole newspaper with me this morning (I usually just take the front page), especially since I didn't remember to charge my iPod.

6:55 Finally to the check-in desk! Everyone has to say their name and address aloud, and the poll workers have to say it back to you, presumably so the poll watchers can make sure there is no voter fraud (or, to be more blunt and biased, so that the Republican poll watchers can question anything even remotely amiss to keep turnout down, and so Democratic poll watchers can make sure legitimate voters aren't turned away...it sure is nice that we lecture other countries about how to run elections).

6:57 The big choice: electronic machine or paper ballot (which is a new option this year). Since the line is shorter for paper ballots, and since I like the idea that there will be a paper trail to follow if necessary, I go with paper.

6:58 Fill in the bubbles completely with a #2 pencil...I'm having flashbacks to taking the SAT.

7:00 That was very easy, and most importantly, I've got the sticker to prove I did my part. Now we just have to wait for the results to come in tonight. After the last two presidential elections, it would be REALLY nice to go to bed already knowing who the next president will be and not having to wait.