Friday, March 20, 2009

Getting my Kirk on

I've never been much of a sci-fi fan (the Star Wars series aside, which I'm not sure even counts as sci-fi). I'm sure much of my antipathy to sci-fi arises from simple personal taste. But a contributing factor is probably that, as a kid, every time I'd introduce myself, people would say things like "Oh, Captain Kirk? Beam me up, Scotty!" Yeah, that's really clever--never heard that one before. So, while I don't care for the genre as a whole, I'm especially irritated by Star Trek.

Where am I going with this? Oh, right--I was browing today's New York Times and saw a link to an article titled "Get Your Kirk On." Since "kirk" means "church" (more or less) in Scotland and at least some Scandinavian countries, I thought it might be an interesting travel article.

Ummmm...no. Instead, it's about people who have replicas of the captain's chair from Star Trek in their houses. DORKS!