Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hardest job around

Way back in the day, I was a high school teacher for a few years. It was a fantastic experience that I wouldn't trade for anything, but it was also the most draining and emotionally taxing (not to mention worst-paying) job I've had. One of the things that was difficult about it was that you always had to be "on"--maybe on a very rare occasion you could be lazy and show a video, but by and large you couldn't ever just tune out. But at least I could go home at night when it was all over--Gretchen doesn't have that option "working" with a two-year-old. With the exception of the occasional Dora or Little Einsteins show, she basically has to be "on" all day, not to mention being on call around the clock. So this seems to be a pretty good explanation of why, even though I've been working pretty long days lately, SHE's the one who's really exhausted at the end of the day...