Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Continuing on the topic of trashy reality TV, I just watched an episode of "Newlyweds" on MTV. (The Jessica Simpson show, not the old Bob Eubanks game show, in case you were confused.) No matter how many times I've seen an episode of a bad MTV show I still get sucked in. Especially now that I'm in Switzerland and actually crave a bit of English-speaking TV each day. Earlier today I caught two back-to-back episodes of Real World Las Vegas! OK, so they're a few years behind, but regardless, I figure it's a good way to improve my German by following along with the subtitles. Don't tell my Mom, but I'm also learning all sorts of dirty German words from watching the Osbournes with subtitles. Other MTV shows in English include Rich Girls and Dismissed. I draw the line at Dismissed. Do they actually show that in the US? I think MTV Europe got all the reject Dismissed episodes that were too smutty for MTV America. Please don't think less of me just because I watch bad TV... believe me, if you were living in Europe and needed to fulfill your English-speaking TV fix, you too would choose Jessica Simpson over the CNN World live broadcast of John Ashcroft and Janet Reno testifying before the 9/11 Commission.