Tuesday, April 20, 2004

I'm leaving in the morning to visit my Mom in Wisconsin. In the end, traveling from Basel to Madison should be a 20-hour adventure involving planes, trains and automobiles. Nonetheless, I'm very much looking forward to spending 10 days with my Mom, and I also feel very spoiled to be going back to the states so soon after arriving in Basel! I hardly feel like I've been here long enough to miss anything, but I've thought of three luxuries of home that I'll be happy to have upon arrival in Madison. First, a real Diet Coke. "Coca-Light", as they call it here, just doesn't cut it. I've even considered switching to Pepsi-Light. Second, a cheeseburger. I haven't had one since arriving, and as you know, I like my red meat. Hopefully my Mom and I will get a burger from the Oakcrest-- a good ol' Wisconsin tavern in our neighborhood. And last but not least, milk. I just realized that I haven't had a glass in 7 weeks-- this from a girl from the dairy state! It's not that I can't find milk here-- believe me, there are plenty of cows-- but it's that weird kind of milk that comes in a box and is kept on the shelf (unrefrigerated) until opened and I just haven't gotten up the courage to try it.