Friday, August 27, 2004

My favorite time of the day

I just got back from taking Grady on his morning walk. It is a beautiful time of the day. The church bells are ringing, and the neighborhood is buzzing with people going to work and school. Of course, I love the fact that I'm not going to work or to school! Every morning, we walk by lots of people (both kids and adults) waiting at the local tram stop, and past the neighborhood bakery and butcher shop as they are opening for the day. Apparently school started a few weeks ago, and there are signs everywhere reminding us "Schulanfang", which is probably the equivalent to signs I've seen in the US saying "School's in session". I'm amazed at all the really young kids who walk to school-- or to the tram-- by themselves here. I remember walking to school in elementary school in Madison, but I wonder how common it is these days in the states.