Sunday, August 29, 2004

Only in Switzerland

I finally made my first trip to the neighborhood flower field. It's a huge field full of all sorts of different flowers (carefully planted in neat rows) with a sign that says "Blumen selber pflucken", which essentially means you can pick your own flowers. To me, this falls in the category of something you would find only in Switzerland, and certainly not in the US. There's a price list for each type of flower, little knives you can use to cut down the flowers, and a couple buckets where you leave your payment for whatever flowers you take. What fun! Can you imgaine such a thing in DC? Choose your own flowers and pay on the honor system. What an amazing concept. I brought home 5 beautiful gladiolas which cost me a total of 5 francs. I can't wait to go back again in a couple days to see what's blooming.