Friday, August 27, 2004

Asian cooking

At home, we could always just go out when we were craving some Asian food. That's a little more difficult here in Basel. That's why I'm so excited about my new favorite store -- the New Asian Market. They seem to have everything one would ever need for cooking a variety of Asian cuisines. Yesterday I picked up turmeric, cardamom, garam masala, and some fresh ginger and pineapple. Last night I made two recipes I found on epicurious.com, Asian-Style Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice (minus the shrimp), and Pork Chops with Ginger-Soy Glaze. Tonight I am going to attempt to make Tandoori-Style Chicken and Cucumber-Mint Raita from the August issue of Bon Appetit. I'm not saying that it's going to be anything like Sonali's cooking, or like Raaga, our favorite Indian restaurant in Arlington, but hey, we're living in Switzerland. We've got to take what we can get. I'm expecting gasps from the peanut gallery... did anyone know I could cook?