Thursday, August 12, 2004

Speaking of rain

In DC I had an interior office; not only did I not have my own windows, I couldn't even see anyone else's from where I sat. So there would be days when Gretchen would call and ask if I could believe the weather outside and I'd have no idea what she was talking about. We could be having a severe thunderstorm or a blizzard and I wouldn't have the slightest clue because I was in my own little hermetically sealed world. Well, no longer. I have big windows that look out over part of downtown Basel (nothing exciting--mostly apartment buildings, ugly towers, and smokestacks...oh, and Germany), and the sky just turned eerily pitch-black. It normally doesn't get dark until 9:00pm or so, but it's 5:00pm right now and it's literally as dark as night. Weird. If they had tornadoes here, I'd say it looks like tornado weather. (Then again I'm from California, so what do I know about tornadoes?) Ooooooh, I can't wait to get home and walk Grady in this!