Sunday, September 26, 2004

Back to Basel

After a beautiful but tiring week of work (me) and play (Gretchen) in sunny Spain, we're back to cold, rainy Basel. I spent most of the week working long days and we both managed to catch colds, but there were lots of highlights, including a fun day in Segovia with our Madrileño friends Beatriz & Julio, so much good food and wine that we're both going to need to go on diets soon, a spouses' trip to Toledo (but not the one in Ohio) for Gretchen, and a day trip to Córdoba (about which more later). I even got to see (but not meet) the King of Spain, which was cool if for no other reason that I don't think I've ever seen a real king--not even Larry King, Don King, or the Sacramento Kings--in person.

And now, a few pictures. First, us at a well-preserved Roman aqueduct from the second century in Segovia:


Next, the touristy but beautiful Plaza Mayor in Madrid:


Finally, a view of the historic city of Toledo: