Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Ich bin eine Schwedin

I just got back from IKEA and they were selling T-shirts that said "Ich bin eine Schwedin". I suppose I would've bought one for Kirk if it said "Ich bin ein Norweger" or something like that-- so he could be in touch with his Norwegian heritage. Then again, why would a Swedish store like IKEA sell T-shirts promoting Norway? Anyway, I went to IKEA in search of a Schuhschrank, which is basically like a closet or cabinet for shoes. We really don't have any closets in our flat, so we have shoes everywhere and the clutter is starting to get to me. Why is it that you go to IKEA for one or two things and you always end up spending hundreds of dollars? Rather than a Schuhschrank I ended up buying a couple Schuhregal, which I guess is more like a shelf but should work nonetheless. Now I plan to spend a couple hours putting them together. As I recall from our days of IKEA shopping in DC, putting together IKEA furniture is usually accompanied by lots of profanity. Hopefully my Schuhregal won't be as complex as a dresser or a desk or something. I also enjoyed having lunch while I was there, which reminded me of how much my Dad loved going to IKEA whenever my parents would visit me in DC and I'm convinced it was just because he loved the Swedish meatball lunch special.