Sunday, September 12, 2004

Study break

I'm desperately trying to get caught up on my German homework (my 2nd class is tomorrow morning) and as a quick study break I will share a few of my thoughts about Hong Kong. What an amazing city. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say overstimulating. So many sights, sounds, and smells... a huge, sprawling city with skyscraper-like buildings that go on for miles and miles. I especially enjoyed all the good food, and I especially didn't like how much I sweat as soon as I walked out of the hotel (or out of any of the over-air conditioned buildings). A few of my other favorite things:
  • Upon arrival at the Hong Kong airport, we had to walk through a "temperature check" where all arriving passengers are screened to see if anyone has a fever (presumably a carryover from the SARS days).

  • It seems that every building is a shopping mall, including every office building. While the city has numerous outdoor markets with narrow walkways, you can also find all the upscale shopping of any major city.

  • People like to hang their laundry out their windows to dry. Keep in mind that the streets are crowded with tall buildings that house thousands of people, so there is generally much dirty (or clean) laundry hanging above you as you walk down the street. I'm wondering how anything ever dries in that humidity.

  • I would love to trade my local Migros and Coop for the grocery stores in Hong Kong. They are big and spacious with beautiful produce and lots of selection. I walked through a couple stores and saw so many American products that I can't get in Switzerland. I even spotted a few classic Wisconsin products, including Bagels Forever frozen bagels which are made just down the street from my childhood home, and both Old Milwaukee and Milwaukee's Best beer (not that I would buy those if given a chance...)