Monday, October 04, 2004

While the cat's away...

Kirk reports that all is going well in Beirut, other than the ocassional power outage at the hotel. I guess I'm living the bachelorette life for a few days while he's gone, and Grady is even more spoiled than usual getting my undivided attention and lots of walks. Yesterday was a beautiful day, in the 70s and sunny (is Indian Summer no longer a politically correct term?). I took the tram to a small town in the country called Fluh. Unfortunately, I don't know how to type an umlaut, but imagine one above the "u" in "Fluh". (for you non-German speakers, an unlaut is the two little dots above some vowels) From Fluh I took a beautiful walk (straight uphill) to a cathedral called Mariastein. We've been there before by car, but I hadn't walked the hill before. It was a lovely walk and I certainly got my workout for the day (did I mention it was straight uphill?). The amazing thing is that while sitting on a bench on the top of a hill overlooking the cathedral I was literally at the border with France. I don't think I'll ever get over how cool it is to be so close to other countries. Today was a very typical Monday. I had German class in the morning and I went to the gym in the afternoon. I'm also trying to get my fill of chick-flicks and Sex and the City episodes (on DVD) while Kirk is gone.