Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Bold eater?

I'm generally not very adventurous when it comes to eating strange or unfamiliar body parts, but this weekend in Paris I almost threw caution to the wind. When we went to dinner Saturday night at La Petite Pontoise in the Latin Quarter, one of their specialties was joues de cochon, or pig's cheeks. The waitress insisted they were delicious, tender, and lean, and I had read a review of the restaurant that had good things to say about them. Maybe I had too much wine at that point, but for some reason I figured, why not? As it turns out, the waitress came back and told me the cheeks weren't ready--they had to be cooked for another day. So I guess that just wasn't meant to be, and I had a steak instead. (Incidentally, Gretchen had one of the best appetizers she's ever had at that restaurant--chevre au pain d'epices, or warm goat cheese on gingerbread.)

Then, yesterday at our staff restaurant one of the options was tĂȘte de veau--calf's head. I wasn't feeling nearly so adventurous and opted instead for the tomato-and-mozzarella salad. So, near as I can tell, did just about everyone else...