Monday, February 21, 2005

Chips/crisps

Following our recent travels to London and Dublin I've decided I should start a regular feature on the blog about the strange flavors of chips you can find around the world. By chips, I mean potato chips, or crisps as they're called many places (I guess those are the same places that mean "french fries" when they say "chips"). At home, we have flavors like BBQ, Sour Cream and Onion, Salt and Vinegar, and I think that's about it. Living in Basel I've gotten used to seeing Paprika, Ketchup, and Chicken flavored chips. I've never tried Chicken but I think it sounds disgusting. I haven't tried Ketchup either, but I remember dipping chips into ketchup when I was a kid, so they might be OK. In Dublin I saw two of the strangest flavors I could ever imagine for chips: Buffalo, and Flame Grilled Steak. I asked the woman who was working at the convenience store where I spotted them what Buffalo was like (there was literally a picture of a Buffalo on the bag). She said to me (in a very beautiful Irish accent and a big smile): "Oh, I think they're just gorgeous". That didn't exacty answer my question about what they tasted like, but it was good enough for me.