Friday, March 18, 2005

An apple a day...

It's that time of year again when farmers from the country come into Basel to sell their goods door to door. I'm such a sucker for these guys... in the past I've bought strawberries and raspberries, and even some fresh-cut mistletoe. Yesterday, I decided to buy some apples and pears from the man who parked his truck in front of our house and was selling to people in the neighborhood. I guess I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. He asked if I wanted a bag or a crate. The crate was huge, so obviously I opted for the bag, and I had intended to get no more than a few of each kind of fruit. Instead, I bought the entire shopping bag packed full of pears and 2 kinds of apples. He filled it up with a mix of fruit while I went inside to get my money, and by then I didn't think I could tell him that I didn't want it. It cost me 40 CHF (about $40 US) which felt like a lot of money at first, but considering I had just spent 4.70 CHF on 3 pears at the grocery store maybe it wasn't such a bad deal. According to our bathroom scale, I bought 30 lbs of fruit (actually a few pounds more considering I already gave some to our landlords last night). I'm eating an apple right now and it's delicious.