Thursday, May 19, 2005

All Lörrach, all the time

I've lived in Basel for over a year now (minus the 4 months I was back in Wisconsin) and I hadn't been to Lörrach until Tuesday's excursion to Hieber's. Now I've gone to Lörrach two days in a row! Yesterday I went on a walking tour of the town with a new German friend who lives in Basel, but just on the border of Germany and Switzerland. I met her at the end of the tram line (in Riehen, where she lives) and we walked about 20 minutes into the downtown shopping district of Lörrach. I'll never get over how cool it is to be able to walk from one country into another. They have quite a nice Füssgangerzone (pedestrian area) with a lot of shops and a couple department stores. She does all her shopping there because she says it's so much cheaper than Basel (imagine that...). I'll have to go back next time I feel the need to buy a few new things from H & M. That's about the only store around here where I seem to find anything that I like, that fits me, and that I can afford.