Friday, June 10, 2005

The big day

I'm very happy to be able to say that my boy is coming home tonight! I often call him my boy, because that's how my Mom used to refer to him. She would say things like "How's your boy?" or "When is that Kirk boy coming home?" (when he was traveling). I love my boy and am excited to see him tonight. It's amazing how quickly the days have gone since he left. Of course I'd always prefer that we're together rather than apart, but frankly the 12 days in Basel without him were busy, low-stress (most days are low-stress for me), and dare I say it, even fun. I got myself into a different routine, and found that I actually quite enjoyed not having to cook a real dinner each night! I think one of the ways that I've changed since moving to Basel is that I have a new-found appreciation for spending time on my own. I have lots of friends here that I get together with from time to time, but I also really enjoy being able to set my own schedule and do what I want when I want. There's no doubt adjusting back to a "reality" schedule of Washington will be a bit of a challenge for me next year. So anyway, back to the subject at hand. I look forward to seeing Kirk tonight, to hearing more about his adventures in eating from Hong Kong and Tokyo, and to spending at least one day with him before he takes off for Frankfurt and Brussels on Sunday. I still have another week of bachelorette life ahead of me!