Monday, June 27, 2005

It's not your beer

In our German lesson this morning, we had a discussion about the differences between Americans and the Swiss. Because we were learning comparatives, we were supposed to say things like "The Swiss are nicer than Americans", etc. Our German teacher is German, not Swiss, which meant we could pretty much say whatever we wanted to describe the Swiss without offending anyone. I wanted to say "The Swiss are nosier than Americans", but our German teacher couldn't figure out a good translation for "nosy". She was translating it into "curious", which in this sense is not the same. She asked me and my German lesson partner (also an American who agreed with my use of the adjective nosy) to give some examples of what we meant. She was very interested to hear about what we would consider to be the nosy ways of the Swiss. I'm sure that any expat living in Switzerland could come up with a few examples!

Then, on the way home from my German lesson, I experienced the absolute perfect example of what I would call Swiss "nosiness". I had picked up a few groceries on the way home and was carrying a shopping bag as I walked to my house from the tram. I could tell there was someone walking behind me, and she was a bit too close so I slowed down to allow her to pass because it seemed like she was in more of a hurry than I was. As she passed me, she stopped to tell me (in German) that I really should carry my shopping bag over my shoulder rather than in my hand because it's going to cause damage to my fingers. She continued on about how it's bad for your hand to carry something heavy that way (that way being the way you carry a bag), so I should really consider using a bag that can go over my shoulder. I was stunned. Why should she care how I carry my bag? While I understood everything she said, I couldn't think of anything to say in response other than "I only speak a bit of German" (this is my standard phrase I use with every German speaker), then I wished her a pleasant day, and crossed the street to our house. What I really wanted to say, but didn't because she likely lives in our neighborhood so I didn't want to be totally rude, is "Ich glaube, das ist nicht Ihr Bier." Our German teacher taught us this expression last year. It basically means "It's none of your business", but for some reason it translates as "I believe that this is not your beer".

Our discussion over comparing Americans and the Swiss will continue in Wednesday's German lesson. You can be sure I'll share this example. And for the record, there are also many good things I can say about the Swiss, not just negatives like being nosy. I will certainly say that it is safer here, more orderly here (which is not necessarily always a positive), children have more independence here, people here are generally more active (outdoors), and the list goes on. But without a doubt, Americans are not as nosy as the Swiss. Or at least they're more discreet about it!