Sunday, June 26, 2005

My two cents

I suppose I should add my two cents about our weekend excursion to Adelboden. As expected, I LOVED the Alpaufzug! It was totally worth getting up at 5:00 AM, and worth the money we spent on a hotel the night before just so we could be there early enough. It was definitely one of those "only in Switzerland" moments which reminded me, once again, of how incredibly thankful I am for the opportunity to live here for a couple years. The cows were amazing. I don't understand how they can hike all the way up the mountain. The climb is so steep, the path is narrow, there was tons of slippery mud because of all the rain, and they sometimes have to walk on these little wooden steps. I didn't like thinking about how hard it was for them. It was much better to think about how happy they were to eat yummy grass at the top.

As Kirk said, we give a big thumbs up to the Alpaufzug. What I don't give a thumbs up to is staying in a hotel with Grady. Although he generally behaved himself (only minimal barking), I do not like sharing a bed with him. It's no secret that I adore my dog. But unlike many people in my life (my parents, my sister, lots of friends) who have allowed their dog in their bed, Grady is not even allowed in our bedroom. He may not be particularly well-trained, but that's one circumstance in which we draw the line between dog and human. There are plenty of other places in our house where he can sleep. For him, a night in the hotel meant sleeping in a comfy bed between Kirk and Gretchen. For Kirk and Gretchen, a dog in the bed meant nobody (except perhaps Grady) slept well! Probably the funniest part about our hotel stay (other than the 5 pounds of black fur he left on the previously bleached-white bed sheets) was his reaction to the mirror in the elevator (one of the walls in the little elevator was a big mirror). He's never paid any attention to mirrors in the past, but whenever we got into the elevator he jumped up on a railing to get a closer look at himself in the mirror. He seemed to really enjoy it. We'll never understand this dog.

One final thought on the weekend. I love my SpƤtzle-Ass.