Friday, July 08, 2005

Also one of those days

Like Gretchen said, we had a really good day yesterday, but it was also really surreal. It started when I came to work and found out a colleague (not someone I was close to, but someone I nevertheless knew) had died suddenly while hiking in the mountains. I still don't know the details, but I do know that she was fairly young (early 40s?) and in great shape, and she just collapsed and died. So that was a really sombre and sobering way to start the day. Then, while we were out having fun, we had no idea what had taken place in London, a city we love. We were stunned to get home and turn on the TV and see the sadly familiar pictures of carnage and dazed commuters trying to make sense of what had just happened to them. So all things considered, it was a simultaneously great and horrible day...