Sunday, September 18, 2005

She's a trooper

Gretchen knows that part of the deal of traveling with me on work trips is that I unfortunately have to, well...work. So, while she would prefer it if I could play more, she understands that sometimes I instead have to sit in the hotel room and work instead. Vacation, however, is usually sacrosanct. On Friday, however, as our ferry was pulling into Bergen (a fantastic city, by the way), I got a text message on my mobile phone with a pressing work question. Next thing you know, I was committed to deliver something by tomorrow morning. Granted, today is the last day of our vacation, we're already getting into the vacation-is-over mode, and I didn't do any work on Friday or Saturday, but it still sucks to spend the last afternoon of holiday holed up in a hotel room writing a speech for someone when I could be out playing instead. So I have to give Gretchen credit for not getting too angry with me (or at least not expressing it too strongly...although when I got the message on Friday I think she was ready to open a can of whup-ass on the person who contacted me) and instead jumping on the subway and going out to see the Holmenkollen ski museum and ski jump outside of town. For the next holiday we're definitely going somewhere my mobile phone won't work...

Speaking of Gretchen, she liked Bergen so much that when we went hiking on Mount Fløyen, she quite literally became a tree-hugger: