Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Open letters

Dear Mr. French Businessman:

When you're eating outdoors and it's close to 30 degrees (high 80s F) and humid, please don't wear a sweater tied around your neck. Not only is it unnecessary and unsightly, but you made me sweat even more--which is saying something because I was already sweating through my shirt--just looking at you. Merci beaucoup.

Cordialement,
Moi

* * *

Dear Restaurant Band:

I'm not sure who told you it was a good idea to play classics like Louis Armstrong ("And I sinks to myself, what a wonderful world") and George Michael (instrumental version of "Careless Whisper"), but please--STOP. You're clearly very talented and you live in a country that is world-renowned for having a vibrant music scene, so would it trouble you to perhaps play something more...local and interesting? (And the same goes for you, Caribbean Bar Band that only plays cheesy versions of Bob Marley songs.) Oh, sure, you play songs in both French and English, but they're songs that we can hear at home any time we want...and usually we don't want to hear them. Our food would go down much better with something, well, African, and I'm sure you'd be much happier playing music that you know isn't crap.

Cheers,
A Fan