Friday, November 11, 2005

World travelers

Conversation overheard today among a group of middle-aged American women in the line to get through passport control at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris:

WOMAN #1: What did you put for your nationality on the entry card? I must have at least five nationalities.

WOMAN #2: Well, aren't you a U.S. citizen?

WOMAN #1: Oh, do you think that's what they mean by nationality?

WOMAN #3: Oops, I did the same thing--I wrote that I was Italian.

(I suppose there may be a legitimate difference between citizenship and nationality, but come on now!)

(That also reminded me of someone I knew who, on her college application, checked "Native American" where they asked for ethnicity--since she was born in America, that made her native. Turns out she got invited to all of the special ethnic study programs even though she was 100% white, 100% blonde, and 100% NOT Native American...)