Wednesday, December 28, 2005

So it's come to this

One of our few complaints about life here is the dearth of English-language TV channels (if you have cable here you get several English channels, most importantly including BBC, but because we're on our landlords' German sattelite package and they can't figure out how to change it, we only get CNN). It's not so much a problem for me since I'm at work all day, I try not to watch much TV, and that's not what living abroad is all about anyway. It's a little more difficult for Gretchen, though, since she's home much more often than I am, especially in the cold, dark days of winter.

Anyway, tonight I realised just how desperate she was becoming when she stated that she was really looking forward to seeing Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar, which is the German equivalent of American Idol. Twice the cheesiness, half the talent--and in German, no less. (For the record, I can't stand American Idol.)

Luckily, now that my mom has returned to the States after a really nice visit, we're escaping tomorrow for a long weekend in Rome courtesy of EasyJet. Hopefully our hotel will have several English channels to choose from (because, you know, what else is there to do in Rome?). So, until next week, arrivederci...