Sunday, January 15, 2006

Dining with the Finns

I've spend much of the weekend watching skiing (and other winter sports) on TV, getting caught up on laundry (now that our washing machine is fixed), and trying to finish the book that we'll be discussing at tomorrow night's book club meeting. Kirk, as usual, has spent a good part of the weekend in the office, which was expected after staying home sick earlier this week. Thanks to the wonderful hospitality of The Big Finns, we did actually get out of the house for a little socializing this weekend as well! We had a delicious dinner at their house last night, which combined with good company, good wine (or so I hear, since I'm not drinking these days), and good music (spun by Binningen's very own DJ Big Finn), made for a really fun evening. Mrs. TBF impressed us with her culinary talents! Check out this amuse-bouche she served! I can honestly say I've never actually served an amuse-bouche, which is a concept only recently introduced to me now that we're occasionally dining at higher-end restaurants.



The amuse-bouche included a lentil soup, a freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice drizzled with beet juice, and figs with marscapone cheese wrapped in prosciutto ham. That was followed by a first course of a very nice shrimp pasta, and a main course of veal stew served with heart-shaped polenta and baby zucchini. Did I get it right, Mrs TBF? Post-meal, but pre-dessert was a refreshing cucumber, orange and mint salad. Sounds great, doesn't it? I especially loved the ricotta and almond cheese cake and the plate full of yummy chocolates that we finished with. I even came home with a couple extra pieces of cake! All in all, a very fun evening. And to think we met through blogging...



By the way, I think we were all supposed to be kissing in this picture, but I guess Kirk and I didn't quite get to each other before Suzanne (another dinner guest) snapped the picture. We ended up having 5 various pictures of this scene, but I like this one best. Thanks for a great night!