Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sticker shock

Yesterday, I gathered my first piece of evidence to prove something that I've suspected for a long time, which is that it's going to be very expensive to have a baby in Switzerland! I'm quickly becoming overwhelmed with how much stuff you need to buy for a baby, and is anyone surprised to hear that it appears everything will cost us multiple times what it would cost if we were doing this in the US? Of course there are also big advantages to having a baby over here, I'm sure. I've heard great things about the health care (and have already been very impressed with the care I've received), and I'm very fortunate to be having a baby when I'm not working and don't have to worry about maternity leave or day care, etc. But it's going to cost a lot of money!

I'm just starting the search for a stroller, or a pram as they're often called here (is that a British term perhaps?). Knowing Switzerland would be the most expensive of the 3 countries in our immediate vicinity, I was happy to have my friend Sabrina take me over to a baby store in Germany to start my search. I have to say that I've been dreading this task. Have you seen the strollers in Europe? It really is a totally different concept than back in the States. They're like the luxury SUVs of the stroller world. That means they're very wonderful, very comfortable, very fancy, and, therefore, very expensive. I often wonder what the poor people do in this country. Not take their babies outside?

At first, I was pleasantly surprised as I walked through a big section of strollers, many of which seemed really nice, that cost around $200 (US) and less. Maybe this won't be so bad, I thought. Then I moved into the next section of more elaborate strollers, where prices (including all "necessary" contraptions and add-ons) ranged from $600-$1000 (US). Well, these are just excessive, I thought.

Later, when we found a very nice woman who could help us in English, I learned that the first section I was looking at (AKA the cheap section) were totally unacceptable for newborns. They are only appropriate for babies 9 months and older, we were told. Which means it is expected that you buy one of the excessive, elaborate, newborn-appropriate (my words, not hers) strollers. And once again, I reached my overwhelmed state of being.

I know that I've just started my search, and that this still plenty of time, so I'm definitely not stressing about it. I will check into finding something second-hand, or checking on eBay, while also looking at many different stores (France is next!) until I figure out the best way to go.

Perhaps the most amusing part of the whole experience was when I asked the woman why the other (AKA cheaper) strollers were not appropriate for newborns. (For those of you who know something about strollers, they all had the reclining seat, etc, so they seemed to be fine to me for laying a baby down flat, as well as for accomodating the baby as he/she grew) She said they weren't good for their backs. They need much more cushioning and something more like a bed. I explained to her that I thought that was a huge difference between the US and Germany (because I have a feeling these strollers would be standard and more than acceptable at home). She exclaimed: "I know! I've been to the US and the strollers are HORRIBLE! Our babies must be much healthier and happier."

Ah, yes, one of the many joys of living in another culture-- finding the differences between "us" and "them". I just had to laugh. Who knows what kind of a contraption my Mom pushed me around in 35 years ago and I seemed to turn out just fine. And I'm sure our baby will too.

Sorry to bore some of you with a long baby post. But this is what's happening in my life at the moment!