Tuesday, January 03, 2006

If I were queen...

I've mentioned a few times before on this blog that I've become a bit of a travel diva. I've been spoiled by a few long haul flights in business class, and I've also become quite snobby about hotels. Not that I insist we stay in top rated hotels all the time, but we do work hard to find good deals at nice hotels when on our own dime, and I'm generally treated to a good hotel when traveling with Kirk on one of his work trips. I've come to a few conclusions about what I would include in the ideal hotel room if I were queen and had the ability to design them myself. I'm not talking fancy luxuries like a bowl of fresh fruit or a free mini-bar, but just the basics that shouldn't be hard for hotels to include. I'm thinking I should start my own personal rating system for hotels based on the following criteria. There must be other people who care about the same things, don't you think?

First of all, there should be two small reading lamps on either side of the bed. I'm married to a man who often has to read for a long time before falling asleep, and I don't appreciate having to deal with a bright overhead light. I'd also like a digital clock on one of the nightstands so that blind people like me can see what time it is when we wake up in the middle of the night in the usually pitch black hotel room.

Then there's a bathroom. I'm not even going to mention that it should be clean, because that's beyond obvious. I can even survive staying in dump so long as the bed linens and bathroom are clean. Beyond cleanliness...

Can somebody please talk to the hotel people about installing normal hairdryers that aren't attached to the wall with only a 4 inch cord? Why are they so concerned that we'll steal their crappy hairdryers? Even worse is the kind of hairdryer that requires you to continue pressing the "on" button throughout use. How hard is it to provide a hairdryer with a regular on/off switch?

As for bathroom amenities, I'm always amazed that hotels rarely include conditioner. I generally travel with my own products anyway (partly because of this), but regardless, I don't understand. They provide shampoo, shower gel, lotion and all these other random things you never use like a bad nail file and a shower cap and a shoe shine buff, but not conditioner! My hair needs conditioner!

That's all I have for now. According to my hotel rating system, a good hotel should have reading lamps, a digital clock, a normal hairdryer, and conditioner. All these things are in addition to the obvious-- a comfortable bed and pillows and a TV showing at least one English channel!