Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bad Idea Jeans

I don't know if anyone remembers the old sketch from Saturday Night Live for a product called Bad Idea Jeans...it was a faux commercial with guys wearing jeans and saying things like "well, he's an ex free-base addict, and he's trying to turn around, and he needs a place to stay for a couple of months" and "now that I have kids, I feel a lot better having a gun in the house" and "normally I wear protection, but then I thought, 'When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?'" with a graphic saying BAD IDEA after each one. You get the idea (so to speak).

So anyway, I was thinking about this because today I saw a poster for an organisation that (if I understood it correctly) sends clowns into hospitals to cheer up sick kids. Maybe it's just me, but aren't most kids kind of freaked out by clowns? I've never necessarily been full-on scared by them (unlike my dear wife, for whom clows induce heart palpitations), but they've always just kind of given me the creeps. I'm just imagining some poor kid who is already completely bummed out about being sick and having to stay in the hospital, and then some scary clown comes in and sends his Angst off the chart. I mean, why not send in a pit bull while you're at it? I dunno...just sounds like a Bad Idea to me.