Monday, April 03, 2006

U-C-L-A-Fight-Fight-Fight

While my bracket was a total disaster, Duke unfortunately flamed out in the Sweet Sixteen, the championship game doesn't start until 3:30am Basel time tonight and it won't be on TV here even if I wanted to stay up, I still have a rooting interest: the UCLA Bruins. UCLA is one of my alma maters, although I only spent one year there and the time difference makes it hard to keep up with basketball, so while I'm more than a bandwagon fan, I'm probably not much better than a fair-weather fan. But no matter--tonight I'll go to bed doing an 8-clap and hoping for a Bruin victory over Florida. (Besides, how can you not root for a team that has a player with a name like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute?)

Not only that, but while the Duke men may have bombed, the women's team plays for the national championship tomorrow night against the evil Maryland Terps. (No matter what happens, though, it sounds like a terribly ugly scene in Durham revolving around an alleged gang rape by members of the lacrosse team.)

My cheering for a team is pretty much a guarantee they'll lose, but I'll try anyway: Go Bruins! Go Blue Devils!