Thursday, May 04, 2006

Pool time!

A true sign of spring... I had my first outdoor swim of the season today! It seems like all the outdoor pools in the US are open only from Memorial Day to Labor Day (so that's late May through early September for you non-American readers), but here, our pool opened already on Monday. It's not technically "our" pool, but it's the pool at the private club that we belong to through Kirk's work. Today, it was truly what you would call a "private" pool. Check this out!



When I first arrived, there was only one other guy and the lifeguard at the pool. By the time I left a couple hours later, there were a few more people, including some kids who were obviously very excited about the start of pool season. But now I can tell you why I practically had this pool to myself today. BECAUSE IT'S FREEZING! This is coming from a Wisconsin girl who grew up swimming in cold lakes. I actually prefer a refreshing swim to a bath water swim, especially when the sun is hot. But the pool was cold. It took me many, many minutes to make my way down the stairs into the pool. That's usually Kirk's way of getting into water. I usually just jump in. I wonder what baby thought of the cold water. When I swam in Thailand she moved around a lot while I floated. But not in this pool! The lifeguard told me (before I ventured in) that the pool temperature was 25. That sounds perfect, doesn't it? I've always thought of 25 as the perfect temperature (on the Celsius scale, that is). Well, now I know that 25 in water temperature is still too cold to swim! Nonetheless, it was great to be back at the pool and to lounge in the sun, even in my ugly maternity suit with my big belly sticking out there for the whole world to see.