Sunday, October 08, 2006

Tastes like Chichén

It's no secret that I can be prone to Angst when traveling in circumstances that are beyond my control (which, come to think of it, is most of the time, but never mind). So I thought I deserved major brownie points for an excursion I squeezed in on Monday morning before my meetings began that afternoon. I decided it would be a pity to be so close to Chichén Itzá and not see it, so I rented a car and headed out there. Five minutes into the drive, as I was trying to navigate the chaotic city roads, I was thinking two things: (1) I'm definitely not in Basel anymore; and (2) am I insane? Maybe it helped that I've driven in Mexico before, but I somehow managed to keep my composure and find my way out of town, to Chichén Itzá and back into town with both the car and myself in one piece.

As for Chichén Itzá itself, it was pretty impressive but I probably should have hired a guide because I didn't really understand half of what I was looking at. Plus, I knew I had to get back in time for the start of my meetings, and it was so hot and humid that I was soaked from head to toe from the minute I arrived, so I kind of gave it short shrift. All things considered, though, it was well worth the trip and, truth be told, the chaotic driving around the city ended up being one of the most fun parts of the trip (I just wish I would have been able to take some pictures of colorful roadside Mexico).