Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Jolly old England

We're torn--on the one hand, travelling with Baby is getting progressively less easy as time goes by, but on the other hand we only have a few months left in Europe so we want to take advantage of every opportunity we have to squeeze in a bit more travel. So lately we seem to be erring on the side of travelling, even if we (and especially Gretchen) pay the price for it.

Why mention this? Because I have a meeting in London on Friday, followed by some vacation time, so Gretchen and Baby are going to come up for a long weekend (we're figuring London has to be more stroller/pram-friendly than Rome). But since we can't ever do things the simple way, I decided that it wasn't enough to deal with the security hassles of flying into London and the fun of trying to drag Baby around the sprawling city. I figured that in all of my visits to London, the farthest out of the city I've ever been was Windsor Castle (which is basically in the suburbs), so we should get out of London for a couple of days and see a bit more of what England has to offer. So, we're planning to take the train and spend the weekend in Oxford just to see something a little different (besides, if we stayed in London for the weekend it's not like we would be able to go to shows or exotic late-night dinners).

Assuming we make it through all the travels without killing each other, what I hope will be the highlight is that we've arranged for a tour from Oxford of the Cotswolds, which is supposed to be a quintessential English countryside region. Truth be told, I didn't know the first thing about the Cotswolds until I started looking into this trip, but when I saw that it included towns with names like Stow-on-the-Wold, Wotton-under-Edge, Moreton-in-Marsh, Bourton-on-the-Water, Painswick, Chipping Campden, Snowshill, Bibury, Cirencester, and Upper and Lower Slaughter...well, I knew this was a place we had to see (I couldn't make up names like that if I tried).

[And please, PLEASE let Baby stay calm enough for us to least go out for a good Indian meal or two while we're there...]