Monday, December 18, 2006

Why I love Austria

We've returned from a wonderful weekend in the mountains. I love going to the mountains. No matter the season, no matter the weather, no matter the activity. I just find it so rejuvenating. There is nothing quite like the Alps. Being close to the mountains is something I will really miss when we move back to the DC.

Unfortunately, we didn't ski because: a) we had a baby to care for, and b) there really wasn't much snow. Fortunately, however, we had beautiful sunny skies on Friday and Saturday, and our sweet baby decided to be a sweet baby which restored my confidence in traveling with her. Unfortunately, we had a minor technical difficulty only minutes after arriving. The camera batteries went dead. Fortunately, being his usual organized self, Kirk thought to bring extra batteries, but unfortunately the rechargeable batteries that he had recently charged had lost their charge! Before the camera died I managed to take one picture in St. Anton. After that, we bought a disposable camera at a souvenir shop and took 27 other photos which will soon be developed and will undoubtedly be of a very high quality! So here is the one and only digital photo of our weekend, taken as we walked from our hotel into town. Doesn't it seem that pictures of the Alps often look like postcards?



I spent a semester in Vienna during college, so I have a bit of a fondness for Austria. I love how they greet you with Gruss Gott. I love their Wiener Schnitzel and potato salad. I know that sounds crazy, but somehow they are different than what you get in Switzerland. Until this weekend, I had almost forgotten about my favorite Austrian treat. At bakeries throughout St. Anton I found Topfenstrudel and Topfengolatschen (don't know if I'm spelling that correctly). I have never seen these pastries in Switzerland. Why is that? I don't really even know what "Topfen" is, but it's kind of like a cream cheese filling, sometimes with raisins, and sometimes with a hint of lemon flavor. Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? Yum... delicious...

Topfengolatschen were always my favorite treat while I lived in Vienna. That is why I love Austria.