Thursday, January 11, 2007

Just some stuff

Boy, that sure is an enticing title for a blog post, don't you think? As you may have noticed, I haven't been doing much blogging lately. Just hasn't been a high priority, and to be honest, I just don't enjoy it that much anymore. I often think of things I want to say, but then when it comes time to actually get on the computer and pull up Blogger, I usually find something else more interesting to do with the few minutes I have while Baby is sleeping. Thankfully, Kirk still seems to enjoy blogging, so at least we're keeping Expatter alive!

So here are a few random things that I have to say about life these days.

1) There are few things in life that I hate more than getting shots. But now I have found one of those things: watching my daughter get shots! She had had 6 month check-up last week, which means she had to get two shots. After the doctor finished the exam, the two nurses/receptionists who work in the office came in together. I held Baby's hands while she laid on the exam table, the "nice" ladies flashed a toy in front of her face to distract her, and then... OUCH! Two shots at the same time, one in each leg! Then lots of screams, then the "nice" ladies leave, then I feel very bad for my crying baby.

2) We learned at her check-up that she now weighs about 18 pounds. She's a big girl. I know this already because my back is breaking every time I try carrying her in the Baby Bjorn. But I don't want to give up the Baby Bjorn, because she loves it and it's a great way to walk Grady and Baby at the same time. I dread the day I have to pack it away.

3) I'm TOTALLY addicted to Grey's Anatomy! Grandma Caril (Kirk's Mom) brought me the season 1 DVD during her last visit, and now I've borrowed season 2 from a friend here in Basel. LOVE IT. It's like my little escape from baby world every evening. Kirk just laughs, because I can hardly wait to turn it on after dinner, but seriously, it's a great show!

4) I think Switzerland is finally starting to recognize the value of convenience. You can now do your grocery shopping online. I've ordered a couple times from Migros "Le Shop", and it's great. I don't buy produce or meat or really any food items through them, but I've used it to buy all the big stuff like bottled water, laundry detergent, diapers, etc. All the kinds of things that don't easily fit in the bottom of the baby stroller. An added bonus: Migros sells beer and wine through their online shop even though they don't sell it in their stores. Very interesting.

5) Baby has a new talent. She can now successfully put her toes in her mouth from two different positions: while lying on her back (pulling toes toward mouth), and while sitting up (bending over in order to place mouth on feet). I'm such a proud Mom. Isn't it amazing how flexible babies are?

6) Thankfully, introducing Baby to solids has gone far better than introducing a bottle. Well, I should clarify. Introducing mushy pears has gone well. She's not really digging carrots or sweet potatoes. I'll keep trying. As for the bottle, we're taking a break. I have a few new sippy cups and I think I'll work on those instead. Sometimes I fear I may be nursing this baby until she's in kindergarten.

7) Continuing on the subject of solid foods for Baby... Kirk mentioned his pear dance. Every time I try feeding her I find myself making up really silly songs like "Swiss pears taste so good" and then I sing the same thing in German (or what I think might be the German translation). Then I think about that Seinfeld episode in which Elaine had to spoon-feed her old man boyfriend who had a stroke and could no longer talk or feed himself. She sang to him something like this: "Yankee bean, yankee bean, I like my yankee beans". Do you remember it?

8) Why do all Swiss people ask me if Baby is a girl or a boy even when she's dressed totally in pink? I understand that it's often hard to tell babies apart, but when they're wearing only pink?! I can't tell you how often I hear this question: "Ein Mädeli?" (the Swiss word for little girl). Even more fun is when they ask if she's a boy, which in Swiss German is "Bub". Yes, that's right, it's pronounced "boob". The other day an electrician was working in our apartment and, after seeing our precious baby, he told me that he has a 9-month old Bub at home. So sorry.

9) They are now showing "Deal or No Deal" on German TV. I have never seen this show in the US, but I've heard about it and know that it's been a huge success. Let me tell you that it is a really stupid show. But I'll admit to you that I get totally sucked in every time it's on! This is not in English, mind you, but German. I think it's the same concept as at home, and even includes the same music and graphics, etc. But the host is German, the contestants are German, the ladies with the suitcases are German, and the Banker is German. Despite all of this, the host still says "Deal or no deal?" to the contestants after the banker makes an offer. His accent is really funny and I laugh every time.

That's all for now. I'm off to take Baby to the zoo.