Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Wild

I love it when things like this happen. Last week I happened to read a blurb in the paper about a forthcoming show by a group called The Wilders, who I'd never heard of. Something about it caught my attention (a song cycle based on a real murder trial), so I went onto iTunes and listened to some snippets from their latest album and was intrigued enough to download the whole thing. Now I can't stop listening to it. Literally. I'm not always much of a country music listener (although I do sometimes like me some bluegrass), but this isn't anything like the crap you hear on the radio, and a lot of it just plain kicks some serious butt. Probably not for everyone, but if you have any interest at all in old-time, honky-tonk country music with excellent musicianship, it's worth giving a listen. That's my two cents for the evening...

(Regrettably, their show--which I'm guessing would be excellent--is actually tonight at a small club near our house, but it just wasn't feasible to go...especially since that would have entailed missing my yoga class. It's all about choices.)