Sunday, August 29, 2004

Handball?

This morning we were treated to a rousing women's handball final, in which Denmark beat Korea in a shootout after two overtime periods. (Incidentally, I was happy about this not only because the Danish team was cuter, but also because with names like Daugaard, Vestergaard, Mikkelsen, Jørgensen, Brødsgaard, and Fruelund--actual names, not Ikea furniture--I felt a Nordic bond with them.) Anyway, handball isn't at all like what we played in elementary school back home. Near as I can tell, it's sort of a combination of soccer, water polo (minus the water), and basketball. It also seems to be pretty popular here. Last time I got a haircut I was talking to the guy who cuts my hair about Olympic sports and he was shocked when I told him that Americans just don't really get into handball. Dodgeball, on the other hand...