Tuesday, October 05, 2004

My green thumb

My big project for the day was to do some gardening and clean up the back yard. It's another beautiful late summer day in Basel, so I was happy to spend some time outside. When we moved here in March, I had grand plans of gardening quite a bit this summer, but considering I was gone for the prime planting season our yard is a bit of disaster. This morning I went to OBI, which is somewhat like a small-scale Home Depot, to buy some plants. I had planted some flowers in pots in the backyard about a month ago, but they unfortunately didn't survive our recent travels (I guess they needed water), so now I'm working on round two. In addition to potting some plants, I drastically trimmed back a couple rose bushes that were climbing up the side of the house and had grown to about 8 feet tall. I would like to mow the lawn too, but I'm not sure I can figure out the lawn mower so I'll have to wait until Kirk gets back from Beirut to help with that.