Monday, February 21, 2005

Can't forget about London

I've already mentioned that we had a great weekend in Dublin, but I can't forget to mention a few things about London as well. Kirk was there for work, but I was able to enjoy a few days of my very spoiled life-as-an-unemployed-spouse life. That means I get to travel with Kirk and spend my days exploring different cities while he has meetings about various things that I don't understand. I used to dream about this back when we were living in DC and I had to go to work every day! Somedays I still have to pinch myself to remember that it's for real. Anyway, I really like London and it's always good to have a few days in an English-speaking country where I don't have to think about anything in German. While Kirk was working, I did some shopping (books, maps, CDs, DVDs), went to see Stomp, (which I've been wanting to see for a long time and it definitely lived up to my expectations), and spent a bunch of time with my old friend Kelly who used to live in DC but now lives in London. Kirk and I also went out for an excellent dinner at Nahm, a fairly nontraditional, but delicious Thai restaurant. One of my favorite things about London is the charming accents and their clever way of saying things (I'm still trying to decide which accent is more charming-- British or Irish...). I definitely prefer the British expression "Way Out" to our boring "Exit", and a my new favorite British phrase as of this weekend is "Alight", as in "Alight here for Westminster Abbey" as the pleasant voice on the Underground might say.