Saturday, May 07, 2005

Fishin'

This weekend is fishing opening in Wisconsin. I'm sure that means nothing to most people, unless you live in Wisconsin and like to fish. Believe me, fishing is a big deal in Wisconsin! Because I wasn't even really sure how to explain it, I went to the website for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR). According to the DNR:

"Opening day for Wisconsin fishing is traditionally the first Saturday in May. Hook and line fishing for many species of fish on many Wisconsin waters begins the first Saturday in May. However, to better manage Wisconsin fisheries, season dates are often specific to the species of fish as well as the water body."

I'm still not sure I know exactly what this weekend is all about, but I think it's the start of the fishing season for certain fish (mainly the ones I like). Nanci, if you're reading, please help me out!

This was always a very important weekend in my family while I was growing up. For many years, my Dad, who was a big fisherman, went "up north" for fishing opening with his fishing buddies. Our cabin, which is on a lake in Three Lakes (a small town in northern Wisconsin), had been closed up for the winter, and the first weekend in May was always the first time my Dad would open it up for the year. In more recent years (after my Mom retired), my parents would go up together to open it up, but almost always on the same weekend. This year, of course, things are very different in my family. This year my sister and her family are opening up the cabin for the year. It's really strange to think that now it's "our" cabin. I love it up there so much. Three Lakes has a very special place in my heart. With summer just around the corner and my sister's family up there this weekend I'm really missing it. I'm very happy living in Basel, but there are always things that make me miss being closer to "home". Kirk took these pictures 2 years ago. The first is the view from the cabin looking out at the lake, and the second is the view from a nearby bridge.