Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My very own stylist

Over the years that Lee and I have been friends, he's developed a bit of a reputation for having quite an influence on me when it comes to shopping. It's been the subject of ongoing jokes in our household. I've never been one for treating myself with expensive styles, fancy "products" (hair, makeup, etc), or well-known names in fashion, but somehow when I'm with him I just can't resist! Meanwhile, Kirk just shakes his head in amazement. It all started back in Washington. During our years of working together, Lee and I frequently ate lunch together and, as time went by, our trips to Union Station to pick up lunch frequently became an excuse to stop in Douglas Cosmetics and buy a new shower gel, an expensive shampoo, or the latest self-tanner. He always had good advice and I always took it (well, actually only sometimes-- my wallet couldn't support all of the good advice). Despite not having shopped together in well over a year, Lee's influence continues. He wasn't in Basel more than an hour on Friday and I had already bought a fabulous tube of Juicy Tubes lip gloss from the Lancome counter at Globus. (He told me that ALL the girls are wearing it back home.) Now, as I unpack my bags from our trip to Paris, I'm reminded of all my new French "Lee purchases". I'm not sure which is my favorite, but here are a few of them: a very cute purse from JC de Castelbajac, a brightly colored bracelet and necklace from Comptoir Sud Pacifique, fabulous face powder from Yves Saint Laurent (which happens to be the most expensive makeup I've ever purchased...), face lotion (with SPF 15) from Kiehl's, hair volumizer by Phyto, and perfume (I never wear perfume!) from Collette (Collette gets a whole post on its own... stay tuned). Lee, did I miss anything? Will I look fabulous this summer or what? Believe me, he never steers me wrong...