Monday, May 23, 2005

The fruits of summer

I'm convinced that summer really is just around the corner. One indication is that it's expected to be in the 80s later this week! I find it hard to believe, considering it's rainy and in the 50s today (again), but we'll see... The real reason I know summer is coming because the summer fruits have started to make an appearance at the grocery store! We had our first peaches of the season over the weekend and they were delicious. When I stopped at Coop this afternoon I also saw cherries, apricots, and nectarines! They are all still outrageously expensive, and the cherries and nectarines didn't look quite ready to eat, but I did pick up some apricots and peaches despite the high prices. I'm very excited about summer fruits so I don't have to rely on just apples and bananas anymore. Does anyone else get sick of having to eat apples and bananas all winter while waiting for the summer fruit? I'm sure Kirk would say that if we lived in California we could have all of my favorite fruits (including strawberries) ANY time of the year...